By CAA | Monday, 9 January 2023
Like many other specialized hobbies, it's important to learn basic collecting coins terminology, including the parts of a coin. You can find more definitions in the glossary.
Side of the coin with the effigy or with the main design.
- Effigy: A representation or model of a person on the obverse of a coin.
- Field: Part of a coin, medal or token characterized by the absence of design.
- Initials: Designer's initials
- Legend: Inscription around the edge of a coin, mostly in Latin for Australian pre-decimal coins and in English for decimal coins.
Tail side of a coin.
- Device: Principal element of the design on the obverse and reverse of a coin, token or medal.
- Denticle: Ornamental pattern (usually dots or beads) used near the edges of coins.
- Rim: The raised area around the edges of a coin.
- Denomination: Face or nominal value of a coin.