Philip William Lowe
Mr Lowe holds a PhD from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a B.Comm (Honours) in Economics/Econometrics from the University of New South Wales. He has authored numerous papers, including on the linkages between monetary policy and financial stability. He commenced as Governor on 18 September 2016.
He is Chair of the Reserve Bank Board and Payments System Board, and Chair of the Council of Financial Regulators. He is a member of the Financial Stability Board. Prior to his current role, he held the positions of Deputy Governor, Assistant Governor (Economic) and Assistant Governor (Financial System). He also spent two years at the Bank for International Settlements working on financial stability issues.
Mr Lowe is Chair of the Financial Markets Foundation for Children and a director of The Anika Foundation. He is also Chair of the Committee on the Global Financial System of the Bank for International Settlements.
Mr Lowe is a signatory to The Banking and Finance Oath.
Lowe signature on Australian banknotes
Lowe appears on the following banknotes:
- One hundred dollars 1996 to 2017 (Lowe-Fraser)
- Five dollars 2016 to 2020 (Lowe-Fraser)
- Ten dollars 2017 to 2020 (Lowe-Fraser)
- Twenty dollars 2019 and 2020 (Lowe-Fraser)
- Fifty dollars 2018 to 2020 (Lowe-Fraser)
- Five dollars 2016 to 2020 (Lowe-Kennedy)
- Twenty dollars 2019 and 2020 (Lowe-Kennedy)
- One hundred dollars 2019 to 2020 (Lowe-Kennedy)
- Twenty dollars 2019 and 2020 (Lowe-Gaetjens)
- One hundred dollars 2019 to 2020 (Lowe-Gaetjens)