Bank of New Zealand - Banknotes
The first official meeting of the directors of the Bank of New Zealand took place on 2 October, 1861, with the first branch opening on Queen Street in Auckland a few weeks later on 16 October. In 1872 a Bank of New Zealand branch opened in Melbourne, Australia. In 1894, the New Zealand Government became a majority owner of the Bank after it nearly collapsed due to the Long Depression. In 1895 the BNZ purchased The Colonial Bank of New Zealand, 21 years after it had first opened for business on High Street, Dunedin.
Bank of New Zealand - 1882 to 1888
1, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100 pounds notes were produced by BW&Co.