Australian Bank of Commerce Limited - Banknotes
The Australian Bank of Commerce Limited was established in Sydney in 1910 as the result of a reconstruction of the former Australian Joint Stock Bank Limited. It acquired the City Bank of Sydney in 1916. The bank was absorbed by the Bank of New South Wales in 1931 - now part of the Westpac Banking Group Limited.
The bank made only one issue of notes before the introduction of a 10% tax made any further issue unprofitable. The design used on the five denominations showed a view of the Sydney Domain and Harbour.
In 1911, the bank was one of 16 banks who supplied blank note forms to the Australian Government. These notes were superscribed as redeemable in gold and issued as the first Commonwealth notes.